Contributions are welcome, and they are greatly appreciated! Every little bit helps, and credit will always be given.
You can contribute in many ways:
Types of Contributions¶
Report bugs at https://github.com/bobspadger/royal_mail_rest_api/issues.
If you are reporting a bug, please include:
- Your operating system name and version.
- Any details about your local setup that might be helpful in troubleshooting.
- Detailed steps to reproduce the bug.
Look through the GitHub issues for bugs. Anything tagged with “bug” and “help wanted” is open to whoever wants to implement it.
Look through the GitHub issues for features. Anything tagged with “enhancement” and “help wanted” is open to whoever wants to implement it.
Royal Mail Rest API could always use more documentation, whether as part of the official Royal Mail Rest API docs, in docstrings, or even on the web in blog posts, articles, and such.
The best way to send feedback is to file an issue at https://github.com/bobspadger/royal_mail_rest_api/issues.
If you are proposing a feature:
- Explain in detail how it would work.
- Keep the scope as narrow as possible, to make it easier to implement.
- Remember that this is a volunteer-driven project, and that contributions are welcome :)
Ready to contribute? Here’s how to set up royal_mail_rest_api for local development.
Fork the royal_mail_rest_api repo on GitHub.
Clone your fork locally:
$ git clone email@example.com:your_name_here/royal_mail_rest_api.git
Install your local copy into a virtualenv. Assuming you have virtualenvwrapper installed, this is how you set up your fork for local development:
$ mkvirtualenv royal_mail_rest_api $ cd royal_mail_rest_api/ $ python setup.py develop
Create a branch for local development:
$ git checkout -b name-of-your-bugfix-or-feature
Now you can make your changes locally.
When you’re done making changes, check that your changes pass flake8 and the tests, including testing other Python versions with tox:
$ flake8 royal_mail_rest_api tests $ python setup.py test or py.test $ tox
To get flake8 and tox, just pip install them into your virtualenv.
Commit your changes and push your branch to GitHub:
$ git add . $ git commit -m "Your detailed description of your changes." $ git push origin name-of-your-bugfix-or-feature
Submit a pull request through the GitHub website.
Pull Request Guidelines¶
Before you submit a pull request, check that it meets these guidelines:
- The pull request should include tests.
- If the pull request adds functionality, the docs should be updated. Put your new functionality into a function with a docstring, and add the feature to the list in README.rst.
- The pull request should work for Python 2.7, 3.4, 3.5 and 3.6, and for PyPy. Check https://travis-ci.org/bobspadger/royal_mail_rest_api/pull_requests and make sure that the tests pass for all supported Python versions.
To run a subset of tests:
$ py.test tests.test_royal_mail_rest_api
A reminder for the maintainers on how to deploy. Make sure all your changes are committed (including an entry in HISTORY.rst). Then run:
$ bumpversion patch # possible: major / minor / patch $ git push $ git push --tags
Travis will then deploy to PyPI if tests pass.